I like to bring big salads to work for lunch. When I ride my bike to work, I can’t always fit everything into a trunk bag. With a lunch, clothes, wallet, keys, and extra shoes, space is a priority. When I don’t have room for a separate salad dressing container, here’s what I do.
1. Grab a good-sized salad container.
2. Pour in a serving of your favorite dressing. I used a homemade balsamic vinaigrette.
3. Top the dressing with chopped vegetables or other salad ingredients. I used chopped crimini mushrooms, roasted chickpeas, and imitation bacon bits. Chopped raw asparagus would have made this combination even better.
4. Add chopped kale, enough to cover the dressing. You can stir it up a little to get some dressing on the kale, or carry it with you as you ride your bike to work – this will mix it up a bit! The idea is to wilt the kale a bit and marinate the vegetables.
5. Top with the more delicate salad greens of your choice. I used spinach, but any type of lettuce will work. It sits above the dressing, and should remain unwilted and crisp until lunchtime.